- Category: Past Exhibitors
A Layout by Neill Clayton
A 32mm gauge/16mm to one foot scale model of a lightly built 2 foot gauge, using Hudson track and rolling stock, and Lister locomotives.
In 1904, Power and Traction Ltd (better known as promoters of the Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway), gained Board of Trade permission to build a 3’6” gauge electric railway linking Ripon NER station to Ripon city and Fountains Abbey. Ripon city council, however, withdrew their planning permission, preventing construction.
WHAT IF………the scheme had gone ahead, with a revised gauge of 2’ to utilize the electric locomotives built for the PB&SSR?
After the main line had been built, a branch might have been added to Littlethorpe, to exploit brick and tile traffic from the numerous works.
The model represents a short section of the branch which may have survived long enough for a preservation project to take over. That project includes the works, loco shed, canal wharf and some surviving rolling stock. As on the nearby Roecliffe Brickworks railway, overhead electric power was eventually replaced by small diesel locos.